Monday, September 15, 2014

Bendigo MTB event - 3hr.

Why train when I can race? This was my stab at cashing in the few kms I commute to work by bike each day as prep for a MTB race - Bendigo 6hr, entered solo mens 3hr.
The result was a broken rear derailleur half way through my 2nd lap, about an hours worth of riding.
Course, I found, very rocky and the climbs were complicated with the rock ledges etc. My biggest issue was climbing, not being used to pace myself using a good speedy cadence so I didnt blow out grinding with feeble legs.
I stopped half way up a climb when I was really maxing out and almost felt like passing out - thats the last time I stop during a climb, bettercto use the free pedaling on the first part of the next descent to recover. 
May I never diss my granny gear - 22t chainwheel on my MTB triple crankset - that has come to my rescue so many times now.
With this DNF I'm keen to front another race start as soon as I can. I've already double-clicked on a new derailleur from Chain Reaction, and entering the Yowie at You Yangs 4th October. Hopefully I'll sneak in a roll down Yarra trails etc asap.

No comments: